One of the best ways to increase open and inboxing rates on your emails is to make sure your emails are coming directly from you.
By default, when you send emails through your admin, those emails are sent "via" FMG Suite and may be flagged as Spam or Promotional messages by some email providers.
With some simple DNS updates, you can send emails through FMG Suite from your own email address!
- First, we need to confirm that you have access to the email address you'd like to verify. We'll do that by sending you an email and asking you to confirm access from there.
- Next, we'll show you the records that will need to be added with your DNS provider.
- Finally, you will confirm those records are in place and - voila! - you can expect all of your emails to be sent from your email address!
To get started, navigate to the menu on the top right-hand corner of your admin, and click "Settings":
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and under Custom Domain for Email Delivery you will see your Profile Email address:
If this email address has not yet been approved, you'll see it marked as "pending." You'll need to wait until this is approved before you can start this process!
This is the address used to send emails on your behalf currently, and this is the email address we'll be updating the records for here!
Next, click "Send Verification Email" under "Actions." This will trigger an email to the address listed here (in this case: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Check your inbox for an email with the subject Domain Verification. Open that email and click "Verify this domain"
Now, you'll be taken back to your FMG Suite admin, where we will display the TXT and CNAME* records you'll need to add to your email domain:
*it is not required that you add this CNAME, but without this record, we won't be able to report on open and click-through rates!
Either copy these records and share them with your IT department or login to your DNS provider and complete these updates on your own.
Reminder: you can always access these records by clicking "Authenticate" (or "View") on this section!
Once these records have been updated, navigate back to your Settings page and click "Authenticate:"
If all the necessary records are in place, you'll see green checkmarks alongside each record, and the status of your domain will update to "Authenticated."
When your domain is "Authenticated," you can expect ALL of your emails to be sent from your email address: custom emails, campaign emails, and even automated form follow-ups!
If you change your primary email address, you'll need to complete these steps again. If the new email address has the same domain, you will only need to complete the first step here: sending yourself the verification email.
From there, once you click "Verify this domain," you should see the necessary records in place on your domain and your email address should be "Authenticated" right away!
Alright - you've completed the first step and now you're ready to make some updates to your DNS records!
Here are some important things to note about these updates:
- If you currently have an SPF record in place, you should not add a new one! Instead, you'll need to add FMG Suite to your existing SPF record.
Simply add the following to that record: include:email01.fmgsuite.com ~all
(~all may already be in place on your existing record - be sure to leave that in place, or add it here!)
- For the second TXT record, most registrars only require you to add just the "mx._domainkey", for example.
- If you already have this CNAME in place (email.fmgsuite.com), give us a call and we can help generate another CNAME for you!
Need some help finding your DNS provider?
Click here for some guidance!
Need some guidance on how to make these updates? We've got you covered!