Your domain name is your website's home address where Internet users can access your website. Your domain name is one of the most important things to consider when building an online presence. Here are some tips for choosing an effective domain name.
Why is your domain name important?
- It defines your brand! The right domain name can increase your brand recognition.
- It can help promote your business.
- It affects your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Keywords in your domain name can help your SEO ranking.
Which Domain Extension Should I Use? (.com, .org, .net)
When choosing the right domain extension, .com is still the best choice. It is the most recognized and accessible.
Choose a Brandable Name
A brandable domain name is unique and helps an organization stand out from the competition. If at all possible, using your company name as your domain name will make your website easily identifiable.
Keep it Short and Simple
Here are some general characteristics of a good domain name:
- Short. Try to keep your domain name under 15 characters.
- Simple. Don't use hyphens, underscores, or numbers (unless those are in your listed business name.)
- Use common spellings that people expect. Make sure you aren't choosing clever or different spellings in your domain name (e.g. koolfiancial.com vs coolfinancial.com.) This would be confusing and make the domain name hard to remember.
Avoid Copyright Infringement and Trademark Issues
When choosing a domain name, you want to be sure that you are not registering a domain name that is already trademarked.
Make Sure It’s Available
Use https://lookup.icann.org/ to check if the domain is already registered or if it is available for purchase. You can also check at a registrar (like GoDaddy.com or eNom.com) to see how much the domain will potentially cost to purchase.